• Send us a message

    Fill in our form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible

    Please enter name
    Please enter your telephone number
    Please enter your email address
    Please let us know which of offices would most convenient for you?
    Please enter the details of your enquiry
    Please enter the verification code
    Send us a message
  • Services for you
  • Services for business

Building Disputes Solicitors

Employing a builder or associated tradesperson can be an extremely expensive business as well as a time consuming one, especially if things go wrong. With so much at stake, it is vital that legal advice is taken before any disputes escalate.

Our dispute resolution solicitors are experienced in settling disputes using mediation and other alternative methods, rather than incurring further expense and time in undertaking court proceedings.

Every situation is different, which is why we take the time to listen and find out more about your specific building dispute, before offering our expert advice on the best route forward.

We regularly assist clients with the following types of building disputes: 

  • Unfinished building work
  • Defective building work
  • Damage caused by builders
  • Unreasonable delays to building works
  • Cost disputes with builders
  • Remedial building work
  • Professional negligence claims against construction professionals

Building disputes and other professional negligence claims can be complex. There are various steps you can take to try to rectify the situation ahead of taking the other party to court, and there could be more parties involved than initially thought.

We believe the best approach to handling any kind of dispute is by firstly taking the time to assess the situation in full, before discussing a range of options available to you. We can support you from initial discussions through to meditation, arbitration, and negotiation. If, at this point, we cannot reach an agreement with the other parties involved, we will then consider taking the case to court. We will cover all bases to keep your case simple, straightforward and with as little cost involved as possible.

Our honest and experienced building dispute solicitors will be able to discuss the options available to you, as well as guide you through the entire process.

Get in touch for legal advice on building disputes

We have specialist teams working in Hampshire and West Sussex, with local branches in Chichester, FarehamHavant or Petworth. Feel free to reach out to your team local or fill in our simple online enquiry form for a quick response.

Why choose our building disputes solicitors?

Client care lies at the heart of everything we do. You can trust that we will provide an honest and professional service through and through, keeping you up to date and only offering advice that is in your best interests.

We are proud to have been awarded Lexcel accreditation from the Law Society, which showcases the high level of service we provide to clients, in everything from information management, people management, to the complete management of your case. You can find out more about our various accreditations here.

Our specialist building disputes team includes the head of the department, Johnathan Arman, as well as Thomas Oliver and Laura Rolls, each of whom have plenty of experience in handling buildings disputes, including those that are high value and complex.

If you would like to discuss your case directly with one of our building dispute solicitors, you can get in touch with them using the contact details below:

The Glanvilles’ client service promise

When you come to us for legal advice for a building dispute, we promise:

  • Our staff will be friendly, respectful, and attentive
  • Your concerns will be listened to, your questions answered, and your options explained in plain English
  • The cost of dealing with your requirements will be made clear to you from the outset
  • We will answer your phone calls and emails promptly
  • We will keep you regularly updated at all times

The Glanvilles guide to building dispute resolution

Can you claim against a builder for poor quality work?

As a consumer, you have the right to request that any poor quality work is dealt with by the builder, and that includes the repair and/or replacement of faulty components. You should first try contacting the tradesman directly to discuss the issue at hand and request that they right any wrongs.

If you do not get a response from the builder, or if they reject your request, you can then contact the Consumer Ombudsman who can assess and resolve the issue on your behalf. If you cannot reach an amicable solution with the builder through the Ombudsman, our dispute resolution solicitors can help to move your claim forward utilising other avenues. 

You are well within your rights to follow the same process if your builder doesn’t complete the work as agreed and if your builder causes damage to your property.

Who pays if a builder damages a neighbour’s property?

Your builder is responsible for the costs associated with repairing a neighbour’s property, if the damage was caused as a result of their work on your property. Most builders will have public liability insurance, which covers them financially for situations like this.

Does a contract with a builder need to be in writing?

You are not legally required to have a written contract in place when working with a builder or tradesperson, but it is recommended that you do. With a written agreement in place, both you and the builder are covered by agreed terms and conditions should anything go wrong further down the line. The same can’t be said for verbal agreements between the two parties. 

What sorts of construction professionals can you make a professional negligence claim against?

Professional negligence claims can be made against a wide variety of construction professionals, so long as you believe they have provided a poor quality service or have failed to deliver on what was originally agreed. 

Professional negligence claims can be made against Builders, Architects, Planning Authorities, Surveyors, Project Managers, Structural and Civil Engineers and Designers, to name a few. For more information, feel free to get in touch with our specialist team who will be able to determine whether you may have grounds for a professional negligence claim. 

How do you resolve building disputes?

First things first - when you decide to work with a builder, make sure you keep a written record of everything that has been agreed, as well as an up to date record of the progress of the work. This will stand you in good stead if you ever have to make a claim against the professional.

When you find yourself in the unfortunate position where a builder has provided a poor quality service, you should first attempt to resolve the dispute by contacting the tradesperson directly. They may not be aware of the issue they have caused and may wish to put things right.

If they do not agree to settle the disagreement and make the necessary changes to ensure a good quality finish to the project, you can pursue your claim through third party professionals including the Ombudsman or our dispute resolution legal team. 

Get in touch with our building disputes solicitors

Give us a call at your local West Sussex or Hampshire branch in Chichester, FarehamHavant or Petworth, or fill in our simple online enquiry form and we’ll be in touch shortly.