• Send us a message

    Fill in our form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible

    Please enter name
    Please enter your telephone number
    Please enter your email address
    Please let us know which of offices would most convenient for you?
    Please enter the details of your enquiry
    Please enter the verification code
    Send us a message
  • Services for you
  • Services for business

Unmarried Parties - Financial Provision for Children

Glanvilles have a wide range of skills when it comes to dealing with children and finances. Our solicitors pride themselves on their expert knowledge and practical approach which is required when dealing with financial provision for children.

Married and unmarried couples do not have the same legal rights on the breakdown of a relationship. This becomes more apparent when there are children who need to be provided for and there is a dispute about the family home.

Child Support

Any issues in relation to maintenance for children can only be dealt with by the Child Support Agency if agreement is not possible. The Court does not have the power to order child maintenance, other than in exceptional cases.


If the primary carer of the child requires financial assistance from the other parent, an application can be made to the Court under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989, if matters cannot be agreed.

The Court can make various orders to include periodical payments, lump sum payments, settlement of property or transfer of property. Before the Court would make such orders, it would have to consider the financial position of both parties. As in matrimonial financial proceedings; full and frank financial disclosure will be required.

Contact our highly experienced solicitors in Chichester, FarehamHavant or Petworth or use the contact form below and we will get back to you quickly.