• Send us a message

    Fill in our form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible

    Please enter name
    Please enter your telephone number
    Please enter your email address
    Please let us know which of offices would most convenient for you?
    Please enter the details of your enquiry
    Please enter the verification code
    Send us a message
  • Services for you
  • Services for business

Unmarried Parties - Property Disputes

The breakdown of a relationship for an unmarried couple can often be more complex than when a marriage breaks down. We have specially trained solicitors here at Glanvilles to deal with claims arising under the Trusts of land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996.

The majority of disputes following a relationship breakdown centre on occupation or ownership of property. If there is a dispute as to the ownership of property, an application can be made to the Court to seek a declaration of the ownership of the home. The Court has the power to order a sale of the property which is the subject matter of the dispute.

If a property is owned jointly, it is unlikely a Court will depart from the legal title.

If a property is owned by one person but their partner believes they have an interest in the property, the Court will consider the facts of the case very carefully and will expect supporting evidence. The Court may find there is a beneficial interest, and if so, make a declaration to that effect. This will secure that persons interest in that property.