Send us a message
Fill in our form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible
Contact our offices
Make an enquiry
A man has secured a settlement of £230,000 after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a deadly cancer of the lining of the lungs caused by inhalation of asbestos fibres.
The 74-year-old man had worked in a steelworks at the age of 15 and was exposed to asbestos fibres while working in the mill. He was never provided with protective equipment nor warned of the dangers involved in working with asbestos.
He became breathless while playing golf and was subsequently diagnosed with mesothelioma. The disease has a long incubation period – typically 30 to 40 years – and is usually at an advanced stage by the time symptoms appear.
After an investigation into his employment history was carried out, a claim was launched against his former employer. This has now been settled and he will receive £230,000 in compensation.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) recently released the latest available figures for deaths from mesothelioma. These show that 2,538 people died from the disease in 2013, compared with 2,548 deaths from mesothelioma in 2012. These figures show a substantial increase on the 2011 figure of 2,312 deaths.
The HSE has information about asbestos health and safety on its website.